Thursday, October 15, 2009

Really?!?!

I quit teaching 3rd grade three years ago to be a stay at home mommy. I absolutely love teaching though, so I've been subbing for grades K - 8th every now and then for the past three years.

Sometimes I have great classes, but the majority of the time they are not so great. For some reason, as soon as students (any grade) see that they have a sub, they think it a free frawl to go absolutely nuts. Once I lay down the law, 99% of the time I don't have too many issues. Today what that 1%!

I taught 7th grade Math. The morning went smooth, no big behavior issues.... then 3rd period came. It was like a scene from a movie. These kids were out of control! I tried every trick in the book and they could care less about anything I said. So.... I called the principal. I totally felt like a tattle tale, but this was ridiculous. He was there in about a minute and reemed them like no other. He let them have it until the bell rang and then made the whole class go with him.

After lunch he came to my classroom with a stack of 60 apology letters. 30 were for me and 30 were for the classroom teacher. One kid literally wrote, "Sorry for throwing paper, yelling, and not listening to a thing you said. We all thought it would be a fun game and you wouldn't do anything, then you did."

All I can say is.... REALLY?! What the heck are kids thinking these days? I would have never ever pulled that kind of stuff on any kind of teacher. I wish all of their parents could have seen how they acted.... or would they even care?

I could seriously write a blog solely on my sub experiences...

2 comments:

Lisa said...

and you should! especially about certain students and their hidden gender...

T said...

Okay...I want to know more about what Lisa is talking about.

You should write a blog about your sub experiences. WOW, what a class! That is a great principal for making the kids write those letters! I hope the teacher lectured them again when he/she returned.