Sunday, March 13, 2011

Race #3

When my alarm went off at 5:30am this morning I thought to myself... Why in the world did I pick a race on day light savings. It was really only 4:30am. After getting out the door, I felt a little more awake and excited to meet up with my friend Jaimee and run another 5k race. Jaimee did the half marathon!


A 5k is 3.1 miles, so I was prepared to run 3.1 miles. That did not end up happening. Usually, there is a turn around point half way into the run where you head back to the finish line. I felt like I was running a really long time and still hadn't turned around. I finally looked at my garmin watch and saw that it said 2.5 miles. I asked a volunteer if there was a turn around and she says, "Oh... there is, but it isn't marked." No way! So now I had to turn around and run another 2.5 miles back to the finish line, which meant I did not run 3.1 miles I ran 5.

At first, I was pretty irritated. People were getting so mad and dropping Fbombs the whole run back. The same thing happened to the 10k runners. There were 100s of participants, so a lot of unhappy runners.

All things happen for a reason. I don't think I would have pushed myself otherwise to run 5 miles. A 10k is 6.2 miles. Maybe I can push myself a little more to do a 10k for race #4.

Overall, it was a fun morning and couldn't have been more beautiful running through Vasona Park in Los Gatos.

3 comments:

lynette said...

Great job, April! You can run the 10K easily! Keep up the good work & I can tell you LOVE running!

Shebecomes said...

Yay!

Did you happen to see Christi Helgeson? I think she did the 1/2 marathon at the same race.

Lisa said...

okay, you are crazy! i'm totally impressed and you've got me finally thinking about running...not doing it yet, but i'm considering it. which, considering my extreme dislike for running and things jiggling in general, says a lot :)