Well, hello there! It's been 6 months since my last post. It was the beginning of summer. We went on to have a fabulous summer and start of the school year. Now it's everything Christmas.
Hopefully it won't be another 6 months till my next post, but I am not promising anything. Life happens.
I just wanted to share something I heard that I am trying to stick to this Christmas. Maybe it will touch another mommy (or daddy) like it touched me.
We have a long drive to school every morning. Because of all the lovely morning traffic our commute takes an hour most days. This leaves lots of time for last minute math facts and spelling test studying, reciting memory verses for Friday tests, song singing to KLOVE radio, lots of talks with my boys and who am I kidding... lots of fighting, yelling, breakfast eating, are we there yets, some I have to go pottys and sleeping. There is something I heard on KLOVE that made me think. Nothing rocket science, just super simple.
A mom asked her kids what they want for Christmas. Of course, like most kids and mine included, on the lists were ipods, iphones, ipads, tvs, computers, etc. I don't know about you, but my boys are not getting any of these items. I don't even have an iphone.This mom, like me, was stressing about all she and to get done in the weeks that lead up to Christmas. Worried her kids would be disappointed that Santa didn't bring the big items on their lists. Then she sat back and thought about all the time she was taking away from her kids just trying to get everything ready for Christmas. This lady I was hearing was just like me. Yes, my boys and I did some baking this weekend, but I told them they had to wait until I finished the laundry. We cuddled on the couch to watch a Christmas movie, but it was after I was done cleaning the bathrooms. We wrapped gifts for family members, but I had them stop helping me because I wanted to get it done quick and have everything look nice.
After I heard this mom on the radio I asked the boys who were poking each other in the back of the car if they thought I spent enough time with them. Josh gave me a No without hesitation. I asked him why. He said, "I keep asking you to play hide and seek and you always say no." That's it? "Yes, mom sometimes I just want to play with you." Kill me now. I spend SO much time with my kids. Since Daddy has a complete opposite work schedule as our school schedule and I teach at their school I am seriously with my boys pretty much 24/7. And I play with them all the time... but it's on my time.
This Christmas I want them to remember the unconditional time I spent with them, not the gifts. I want them to focus on the miracle of Jesus' birth. I want them to realize that the true meaning of Christmas does not start with an i and end in pad.
So, I encourage you to spend time with your kids. Quality, unconditional, chores and laundry neglecting, messy and unorganized, hide and go seeking, good 'ol fashioned time with your kids.
It's the time that will be etched in their memory of this Christmas, not how Pinterest-y your house is decorated, how pretty your gifts are wrapped or how clean your house is. Enjoy this time with your kids. It goes by too quick.
Merry Christmas!
Happy Birthday, Jesus!
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago


1 comment:
Well Said...Love You!!!!!
Post a Comment