If you aren't familiar with
Operation Christmas Child, you should check it out. You can find all the instructions on how to prepare a shoebox full of goodies for a needy child
HERE.
The boys and I went shopping at the Dollar Tree yesterday to get some items for our shoe boxes. The boys wanted to prepare shoe boxes for boys their ages. The had fun throwing all kinds of fun stuff into our cart. As we were standing in line there was a nice old man making funny comments about the long line we were waiting in. He looked in our cart and said, "Looks like you are getting ready for a birthday party." I went on to tell him what the items were for. He had never heard of it and thought it was the neatest idea. He then pulled out his wallet, handed me some cash and said, "Can I please give a donation and pay for your items?"
I was shocked and we couldn't thank him enough. How awesome is that sweet man?! I can't get him and his amazing act of kindness off my mind and will continue to pray blessings on him.
Later in the evening the boys packed up their shoe boxes. I was secretly anticipating them wanting the items for themselves after we took them all out of the bags. But they were so excited to pack those boxes. When we were done the boxes weren't full so they went to their playroom and found a few more little toys to put inside. Josh even put one of his favorite airplane shirts inside the box.
When we were done I asked Josh if he was looking to forward to making these again next year. He said, "Mom, I am pretty sure it is cancelled for next year because we don't have anything else we can give away." I thought that was funny. I don't think they totally grasp the idea of where these boxes are going or how much the children receiving these boxes don't have, but it is good to do little projects like this with them.
We are blessed with so much!
No comments:
Post a Comment