Here is an update sent on Sunday, 2/7 from our Pastor, Don who is currently in Haiti.
We are well, safe and secure. This is a good trip, both productive and necessary. I have seen God open the doors all the way. It is good having Marcus traveling with us. Marcus is a photojournalist from the New York Post. He was born in Brazil and speaks fluid Spanish and Portuguese. I would not have wanted to negotiate the leg of the trip through the Dominican Republic without him. He rented a car in the D.R. and with his press pass was able to move us quickly through some places of bottleneck. Roads were fairly fast until we got to Port-au-Prince. Three hours plus to cross town. Marcus was able to smooze the Portuguese speaking U.N. convoy and we fell in line with them. Josue mentioned to us most Haitians do not like the U.N. for their methods and alleged corruption. It was hard for him to be a part of the convoy. In contrast most Haitians like the presence of the U.S. soldiers. They say it would be better if the U.S. could take the lead.
For images, visit www.imagesforhope.org find the Haiti file and download. This is Marcus' website.
Grassier was the epicenter. Most every house and wall near the land is in ruins. looking across the little valley there are only piles where houses stood. Everything we had stood well. The wall foundation was deep. I can now see how good it was we did not build anything beyond the foundation. Josue and I laugh about my past frustration and how we are thankful we did not get a house built.
Yesterday was our first full day in Haiti. Today we will start the verification of children. Most all of them have been moved to a Baptist Mission near Cape Haitian (see map) for safety, both physical and emotional since there have been continued aftershocks, although none noticeable since I got here.
The congregation that was meeting above momma’s house holds Church and prayer in the courtyard every morning and evening.
I spent time with a man yesterday that had lost 8 family members in the quake. Last night I went with Marcus to the site of the 11 story university that had collapsed. Recovery workers thought someone was calling out from the basement. They were digging and probing with sound and cameras, but nothing.
Water and food are more available. No worries. Life is returning to the neighbor hood. Just less of it as many people have left the area and we especially see a lack of children that usually accompanies us.
A little on my own emotional health: I am fine. Nate and I both wonder why we are not feeling more emotion. Several things, God is our strength, I am busy with task, I am reading scripture and praying, Haitian are used to struggle and finally Port-au-Prince does not feel that much different than any other time. The Haitian people have always had struggle. My first trip was probably harder to adjust to then this one. People here are able to sing, laugh, pray and help each other. For the most part they are not expecting anyone to bail them out. It has been three plus weeks since the quake. People all around are beginning to break apart the ruble, sweep streets and trying to secure shelter for the days ahead. The rains start in March. I am focused on logistics of shelters in several areas. It is only a drop in the bucket when one considers the situation, but at least it is something.
Many aid workers who have come wanting to help have no contacts or network in country here. They find themselves frustrated.In contrast, my trip is very, very timely. Everyone extends thanks to the church for their love, support and encouragement.
Please continue to pray for him as he will still be in Haiti for a few more days.
Managing Hydration When You Are a Runner
5 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment